Friday, June 5, 2009

Be Still

I'm not so good at being still. The whole "Be still and know I am God." Yeah, not so good at that. I like to do things, get things done, check things off my never-ending lists. This little Baby Mouse, however, is teaching me much in the "being still" department. Miss Mouse was content and happy to sleep in her swing for naps three times each day at this age. I ran frantically around the house, doing laundry, unpacking stacks and stacks of boxes from our move, working on presentations about my thesis, etc. As she got older and napped in her room (from about 8 months on she napped in her room rather than in the swing), I changed my focus and worked on hats, crafting projects, and other things for my fledgling little business.

Enter Baby Mouse.

The sweet, sweet baby who needs to be held to nap, or who at least wants to be moved in her car seat in order to get more than a 45-minute snooze. I don't foresee this being a huge sleeping problem as she gets older, probably because I didn't face a crisis from rocking her older sister. So, I don't think she'll be scarred for life because she prefers to be cuddled or moved at this age. It does, however, put a cramp in my "get everything done while they're napping" mode. I've been forced to sit and hold a baby! Gasp! Sometimes I can work on a hat, but most of the time, my energy, my thoughts, my focus are directed to this beautiful, sleeping infant in my arms.

And I've realized it is good.

The older Mouse is teaching me much about patience. The Little Mouse is teaching me how to quiet myself, or allow myself to be quieted.

It is very good.

No comments: