Everyone needs their Cheers bar.
I wasn't even old enough to be allowed to watch the show when it was on, but I remember the song and can probably sing it word for word. As I've gotten older, I've realized more and more how true are the words that we all need a place "where everybody knows your name" ...
I wasn't even old enough to be allowed to watch the show when it was on, but I remember the song and can probably sing it word for word. As I've gotten older, I've realized more and more how true are the words that we all need a place "where everybody knows your name" ...
The girls and I traveled to a place like that on Sunday, a place where Miss Mouse was welcomed as a "kitchen helper" with the other two children her age, a place of community, deep roots, and deep faith. Mr. T and I were blessed enough to be part of that community for some years, and it was so special to take the little Mice to see what it is like, to have a taste of that place where everybody knows your name.
Melodramatic? No, not so. Mr. T's summation of this congregation is that to be their pastor, one must be okay with the fact that until you've been there several (several) years, you are not the spiritual head of the congregation - Mr. F is, and rightly so.
Hard work, devotion, leadership, and faith have been passed on here through generations, not only to those in the "founding families" but to all those blessed enough to live on the prairie near this place. All are welcome here, as long as you're willing to pitch in, perhaps clear a table, teach some Sunday School kids, take the offering, or participate in the Christmas program, which seems to have sprung entirely out of a Little House on the Prairie book (complete with, as of my last knowledge, real candles with real flames).
I never did any of those things there, but I did make some fairly cute duck cookies for the bazaar every fall. The same woman bought them every year, put them in the freezer, and gave them to her son who liked to duck hunt for Christmas. Every year. Rose is gone now, has been for several years, and I very nearly cried for how much I missed her when we were out there last Sunday. This is a good place with good people. Most places are, to be truthful. But this one is especially special because here
everybody knows your name.
2 comments:
Ahhh...wish I could have been there!!
I just went by the Cheers bar in Boston and the post ofice Norm worked at.
Post a Comment