Saturday, May 28, 2011

When They Put Their Minds to It!

When these little mice put their minds to something, it happens! Our most recent accomplishments are:

*Sunny Mouse is trained! As with her sister, there seemed to be a window of opportunity which presented itself around her second birthday. Miss Mouse's window started around Christmas, but Sunny really seemed to get interested around her birthday in February. Now around Memorial Day, we have transitioned to regular "little girl underpanties". Sunny is so proud! Miss Mouse is so proud! We still have the occasional accident, but for the most part, both girls were Christmas-Memorial Day in training pants and then transitioned to the, ahem, grown up world from there. Sunny is also exceedingly proud that she is nappy-free for naptime, as well!

*Miss Mouse can tie her shoes! She just decided she wanted to, so we worked at it. She learned to tie her shoes, and I got in some extra practice in keeping-my-mouth-shut and patience-to-not-help. It's really almost easier for me now to do something in the kitchen and let her tie her shoes at her pace and in her own way than to sit and watch her. She knows the steps, and I know I don't benefit her by hovering and needing to nearly bite off my hands to keep from "helping" her. She's incredibly proud of herself, as she should be. My little lefty basically had to develop her own style, too, since all I could do was show her how I do mine and then attempt to help her do it "backwards". I guess it worked because I have one proud little Miss Mouse! She even gave what appeared to be her first 4-H demonstration tonight to Grammy and Grandpa Bob over Skype. She showed them on her little lace-up cards how she ties. It was complete with phrases such as "Well, I think we are ready to start.....First of all, I cross the laces over....Next, I.....Now, I'm going to do.....Do you see how I'm?.....And here we are!!" It was hilariously sweet.

To my mind, the most awesome thing about both of these accomplishments is that I didn't push for either one. Not once did I tell them that either of those things were tasks that they needed to focus on or attempt. I did encourage them once they decided to "go for it", but that was it. For the most part, these Mice make my job so easy!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow! These are great moments!They are remarkable little ladies, and you are one great mom. I love the demo. description too. Thanks for sharing and congratulations to all of you!
Love, Auntie Linda