Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Summer Fun

We had a wonderful Summer 2013. It was a dream summer, honestly. Mike had an 8-week sabbatical plus 2 weeks of vacation on the end, and the first week, I nearly cried every night because I just couldn't wrap my head around the fact that he would be home for dinner that night. And the next night. And the next. And the next. And the next. Really, it brought tears to my eyes - tears of excitement and relief and just complete happiness. It was A.W.E.S.O.M.E.

Now, I know of other pastors and their families who have trekked across Europe, toured the Holy Land, or done something else fairly spectacular and impressive while on sabbatical. That was not the position we are in at this point. Mike built a shed. It's a really, really nice shed, though. It's really more like a "second home" in the backyard. We even talked about perhaps housing guests in it someday (not really, please don't be scared to visit us!). We do truly want to build a loft in it for the kids to have as a playhouse, though. That, however, is a "someday project" right now. The shed was enough for one summer. It was an intense building project, but it was great, too, in that Mike's Dad was able to come help for somewhere around two weeks of the building. It was so fun having him around! Then, our neighbor over-the-fence offered to shingle the thing for us! It's extremely tall with a very steep roof grade, so that was a blessing in so many ways! Anyway, as non-spectacular as it sounds to have spent his sabbatical building a shed (after a really neat bear hunt in Manitoba that yielded not even one bear-siting....), it definitely impressed the ladies (and young man) in Mike's life!

We sort of wrapped up our summer with a trip to SD. We had spent a weekend in the Twin Cities with Mike's family in June, at a wedding and visiting the MN Zoo, which we adore, and at the end of July, my parents joined us for a couple days in the Black Hills.  Here we are at Mount Rushmore. Trust me. My lens just isn't wide enough to get the faces in if we were going to get our faces in. Notice I even color-coordinated us? Well, not Mike. That was just on accident. I know. I know. Color-coordinating for pictures is out-of-style. I couldn't help it. I think the kids had a lot better time than it looks like they are having right here. Mike and I? I think our happy looks pretty much reflect the way we felt all week just being able to play together as a family.


Doesn't Sunny look proud riding a unicorn at Storybook Island? The girls (and even Mighty Mouse) loved Storybook Island. We went twice, though the second time was cut short by a rain shower and a dirty diaper. I offered to wrap Mighty's little bottom in a plastic bag that I got when I bought him a souvenir hat at the gift shop, but Mike decided it was best to make it to a gas station where he could get an actual replacement diaper. What kind of mother leaves their rental-vacation house (it was $30/night cheaper than any hotel would have been and we had an entire HOUSE to ourselves!!!) without a clean diaper? Ugh. Oh well.  We had a blast there.


My Mom and I have a picture like this from about 30 years ago.

Sunny finally got her chance to hold a peep. This was at Old MacDonald's Farm. We went back their twice, as well. 

Mighty Mouse has a hilarious "thinking face", in my opinion. Here he had just come out from hiking into a mountain to see a waterfall called Thunderhead Falls. It was just a little out-of-the-way hike that we stumbled upon while driving around for Mighty to take a nap one afternoon (after spending the morning in Rapid at The Farm - see above). It was so fun, though, and so very family-friendly. Despite his face, even Mighty Mouse seemed to have enjoyed himself. Sunny skipped and hopped the entire way back into the mountain. Only Miss Mouse, usually our bravest child, wanted to leave the falls quickly. She said it was just really loud, which is was. 


I'm not sure what this face signifies, but it cracks me up, too.


Those I love most in this world. They're on a hike around Horsethief Lake on our way home from having pizza in Keystone one evening. I've cropped this photo so you can see their faces, but really they were high above me on a cliff outcropping. I was so proud of Sunny for being brave enough to trek up there!

It's SuperBaby!

We have so many fun pictures from this trip. I can't wait to make a book of them. Sunny says she still misses "our" house in SD. Miss Mouse has made peace with having left, but she says she really, REALLY wants to go back again. It sort of blew me away that we were able to do a trip like this with a 10-month old baby, but I really think having the house made all the difference. We also didn't do nearly everything on my list that I'd made of potential activities, and that was really just totally fine. We really got to know the places we did go, took our time, relaxed, and didn't run ourselves ragged (until the trip home which was a completely different story and nearly landed me in an asylum, I think.....). I should have gotten more pictures on the days that my parents were with us, but, hey, they TOOK the family photo of us at the top. So that's kind of like them being IN it, right? Right, Grammy and Grandpa Bob? Um. Yeah, sorry. I think I was enjoying our time too much to do much photographing. It's all in my mind, neatly tucked away to unpack sometime in January when we've been inside for 42 days straight.

What a great summer this was!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed the vacation and the photos. Thanknyou for sharing.
Love,
Auntie Linda