Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Congratulations, Big Girl!

Our little Miss Mouse broke through her last two baby teeth (the bottom filler-teeth) on Saturday! She's showing them off in this photo. Today was her 18-month checkup at the doctor. She didn't need any shots, so it was a fun checkup (other than the 45 minute wait). Her statistics now are: weight=21 pounds, 9 ounces=12th percentile; height=34.75 inches=99th percentile.
Yep, those are pigtails and a vacuum cleaner. I found it at a rummage sale (typically I swear off rummage sales - I can't handle them because I feel bad for everything that other people are not buying and feel pressure to buy it because it was important to someone at one time and they might feel bad if no one buys it and....yeah, I don't do auctions, either....but this one was at the end of our block, and the vacuum caught my eye...knowing how much she likes vacuums, I figured it was definitely worth the $2!).
Monday was supposed to be our "celebration day at the zoo" in honor of the last two teeth. Well, the 3.3 inches of rain we received that day brought us to Plan B, Yunker Farm. We needed the rain (perhaps not all at once?!), and Miss Mouse absolutely loved the Children's Museum! In this picture she is putting countries up on a magnetic board. So Iraq was in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean, and China was somewhere around Canada - so what? She's getting the idea!!! :)
She was extremely interested in the milk cow. There was much "mooing" and milking going on.
Daddy found the bee costume over by the example of a bee hive (yes, it's real. it's in a little box like an ant farm would be, and you can watch the bees make their honeycombs. very cool.). It seemed sort of disgusting to me to put something on her that had been on other kids (and had obviously not been washed anytime during its lifespan), but it was so ridiculously cute that we couldn't resist. Trust me, she got a washing immediately after it came off. At one point, she and another girl, maybe a 4-year old, stood and looked at eachother. The older girl looked a bit confused and walked off. I told Mike it looked like they had exchanged a silent conversation going somewhat like this: Girl - "What's with the bee costume?"; Miss Mouse - "I'm not sure, but Daddy put it on me. Mommy won't stop taking my picture. I think I look cute in it, but trust me, it wasn't my idea." After the bee costume was removed, we found what would be Miss Mouse's favorite area. It was a small room upstairs filled with balls. One could roll the balls down inclines, through tubes, etc. She loved it. We spent the majority of our time there which was fine except that the walls were slanted and a bit short even for me to stand up (it was a peaked ceiling, so if you stood in the middle, you were fine).
To finish our celebration, I had the "brilliant" idea of going out for Italian food. She loves Italian food. Well, I did not couple my brilliant idea with brilliant organization, so I forgot her milk and water at home. She gets terrible gas pains from city water (trust me, she does....I couldn't even drink it myself when I was nursing, or there would be a disaster), but after the playing at the Children's Museum, she was thirsty. So, she drank a bunch (for her) of city water. All went well for awhile. She devoured a bunch of bread dipped in garlic and oil; she inhaled the tomatoes from my salad. Then we began the wait for the main course. And we waited. And waited. And waited. And walked around with Miss Mouse. And walked. And visited the bathroom. And washed our hands. Twice. And walked around more. Finally by the time the food came, I could tell she was getting terribly uncomfortable. By all appearances to the tables next to us, she had an absolute, screaming, meltdown when I went to put her in her booster seat to eat her noodles. It was disastrous. We ended up getting takeout boxes and heading home. Poor thing, um, released a lot of pressure, shall we say, once we got home. So, indeed, she hadn't been a terror-child after all, but a very uncomfortable child, indeed. It was a sad end to an otherwise fun day. I won't be forgetting the water again.



No comments: