Thursday, February 26, 2009

Adjusting

We're working on adjusting around here. I think my toddler does it perhaps better than I do! She's been most jealous of Grammy's time with Baby Mouse rather than my time with Baby Mouse. Grammy's been yelled at a lot by Miss Mouse. It's getting better, but we go a few steps backwards every once in a while, too. For the massive change in her life, I don't think that's too bad for our Miss Mouse! Yet, anyway.

Miss Mouse has come up with the most interesting comments about her sister. For example, Baby Mouse apparently eats "peppers". She has an assortment of colors, varying by the day. Sometimes Miss Mouse will say she is eating pink ones, sometimes green, sometimes orange. Not sure where she got the pink ones, but she herself loves green and orange peppers. So perhaps she figures Baby Mouse should have one of her own favorite foods to eat.

Miss Mouse and I went to Ash Wednesday service last night. Daddy was filling in to preach at the last minute, and Ash Wednesday is one of my favorite services of the year (I know I'm probably odd that most of my favorite services come in the season of Lent). I was glad that Baby Mouse ate in time for us to run to church and get home before she needed to eat again. Our doctor advised against taking Baby Mouse out until sometime in March when people "spread out" a little and aren't so crunched together, passing the flu around. Germ freak that I am, I was fine with that advice but glad for the opportunity to take Miss Mouse out (germ freak - really, truly, she had her hands washed with santizer three times throughout the service). Anyway, when we got home, Miss Mouse was very proud to show off the ashes that Daddy had put on her forehead. She talked about them the rest of the evening. She also rushed in the house yelling "eat peppers" because I had told her that Baby Mouse would probably be hungry when we got home.

Grammy has taken to calling Baby Mouse her Little Dumpling. Miss Mouse is Grammy's Sweetheart. Miss Mouse loves to announce that she is the "Itto Eetheart" and to tell people about the "Itto Dumping". Several times in church last night she turned to me to say "Grammy, home, Itto Dumping". Not sure how that sounds to the random listener, but I think it's adorable!

Life is good around here. Sleep is in short supply, and patience runs in about the same supply as sleep for me. There seems to be a strong, positive relationship between sleep and patience. But life is good, and patience with a two-year-old, I'm learning, is increased by sheer willpower and prayer. Thankfully, I lack nothing in willpower, and the season of Lent should help with the prayer part - so patience should be, if not abundant, at least present at our house! Life is great!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank heavens you have your mom there to help out! Too bad those first few months are spent in a fog much of the time! Glad Miss Mouse is adjusting, they will have so much fun together when they are a little older! Addison had her 9 month appointment, she is doing well, 19.8 pounds and 29 inches so she is a good upper body workout when out and about! Take care!
Susie

Anonymous said...

I love your reports on life in the Toomey Mouse House. Keep them coming. I can't wait to see the girls, but I'm having trouble scheduling a time.
Love, Auntie Linda