Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Silly-ness

Almost exactly one year ago.



Where did that year go?

Just before birthday #1.


Just before birthday #2.





Miss Mouse has been increasingly silly lately. It's funny because the more irritating she gets (running away from the bathroom naked, yelling "no" quite often, etc.), the more silly and endearing she gets, as well (lots of kisses, hugs, hand-holding, etc.). Her latest request was for me to sing her a song about birds. Well, I couldn't think of any song I had ever sung her about birds. I'm not sure where she got that. Pretty soon, she decided she wanted a song about birds and baboons. As soon as she said "baboons", I knew she was thinking of the cards that Auntie Laura got her for Christmas. They are for a matching game or something and have lots of very different animals on them (i.e., baboons, gnu, owl, parrots, lions....). Sooooo....we made up a song about birds, baboons, gnu (not sure what the plural of gnu is; I should look that up), and Miss Mouse. The words are:
*Birds are so nice. Baboons are so nice. They live in the jungle (I hope they do?) where they have fun.
*God made the birds. God made baboons. God made the gnu. God made Miss Mouse, too.
*God loves the birds. God loves baboons. God loves the gnu. God loves Miss Mouse, too.

Nope, I have no claim to being talented in musical composition, but this is the song she has been requesting at nap and bedtime lately. I asked Daddy how many children he thought are fond of songs about baboons and gnu. He thought perhaps quite a few in Africa, but we agreed that she could possibly be the only child in our region to have such a fondness.

We spent the morning today reading, doing laundry, diapering and un-diapering the Cabbage Patch doll, and having a flute concert. Yes, a flute concert. She has a second-hand book about orchestra instruments. She loves reading it and can now identify (when she wants to) a trombone (and knows that Daddy plays one), a trumpet (and knows that Ken plays one), a french horn (Ken, again), a flute (Mommy), a violin (Auntie Laura - deal with it; she calls it a violin), a cello (Auntie Steph), and a guitar (Grandpa Bob and Mommy). Of course, she also knows all about accordions from Grandpa Dick. Anyway, she asked for a flute concert this morning, and she wanted it upstairs. Why? I don't know. She's two. So, she sat on the couch, and I sat in the chair and played requests ranging from Mary Had a Little Lamb, Baa Baa Black Sheep, Jesus Loves Me, Away in a Manger, Mommy's Song (aka I Love to Tell the Story), to songs such as Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing out of a flute book that I used in Enderlin for playing in church. She had me playing for about 20 minutes!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What an interesting little person Miss Mouse is! As I have always stated, the parents are the first and most important teachers a child will ever have.
I'm so impressed with the the mind that is developing. Most books say that the first 3 years of learning set the stage for whatever learning will be able to take place later. Her teachers will thank you. Love, Auntie Linda