Wednesday, July 15, 2009

In the Good Old Summertime....

The Great Wheat Experiment - oh, and carrots, too.New summer toys are so fun - a water table, which doubles as a picnic table, two baby/toddler swings, which make me just feel so full and warm and cuddly when I look out the window (am I weird??), and a tricycle that doesn't force Miss Mouse to have her knees at her chin (her scooter is hanging up in the garage - she points at it regularly and tells me Baby Mouse will use it next year).
Looking for fishies with Daddy - 4th of July weekend
Pontoon-time with Auntie Steph

Grandma watched Baby Mouse so Mommy could join the party on the pontoon. What a fun ride on a beautiful evening!
Although it was a little scary that Miss Mouse was driving - the lake being a nice, quiet, open area, she actually did get to stear most of the time!
Miss Mouse hasn't seen this yet....it's a surprise. How many kids have an airplane built by their Grandpa???!!!!



They caught six!


Baby Mouse joined the Independence Day fun, too!



Lounging on the hamock.



She might be teething, eh?
Why, Daddy?

Ready for church

As you can see through the pictures, we have been busy, busy, busy. We had lots of fun over the 4th of July weekend. Mr. T actually had it off for the first time in, hm, eight years, so that was super fun! The fireworks were not a real hit with Miss Mouse as she didn't really like the noise. We just saw a few over the lake from inside the kitchen windows. Maybe next year they'll be more popular.

We think we may have been a bit too busy this summer. Our oldest Mouse has developed a terrible temper - 45 minute fits, screaming, throwing herself into things, onto the floor, pulling out chunks of my hair, shoving her hand in my mouth and pulling...these are not pretty times. I don't write this because I'm proud of it or think it is funny, by any means. I just want the "mice" to realize what life with them was like at different stages. These times are just wonderful, but there are moments that are as awful as other moments are wonderful. We're going to try to really slow down for the rest of the summer, not rush the Mouse if we don't have to, take time to play and laugh, relax a bit (yeah, I know it looks like we were relaxing in all those pictures, but I fear both Mr. T. and myself have a tendency to do a little too much "hurry up! come on! if you want to go do this-or-that-fun-thing, you have to hurry! now!"). We've had a lot of fun and not realized, perhaps, that even fun stress is stress for a young Miss Mouse. For her sake and the sake of her tiny sister who really does get frightened during these episodes (at one point last week when Mr. T. was in the middle of several 14-hour days in a row, I ran Baby Mouse over to our wonderful neighbors' house to get her out of the noise and clatter), we are making some changes!

On the bright side, Baby Mouse can now sit on her own, if only for a few seconds. She can chew on her toes, and her little giggle is beautiful.

Miss Mouse never ceases to make me chuckle (and I'm going to get better at actually stopping to do so!). Yesterday she hauled my baking and sweet potatoes into the living room saying, "Here I come with tatoes!". As I put the potatoes away, she pulled off two plants leaves, which got her a talking-to, but it wasn't as harsh as I usually would be because she was running around saying "This one Miss Mouse's. This one Baby Mouse's (using their own names of course)." She even ran to the window, called Hubert over, and showed him which was hers and which belonged to Baby Mouse. So, we talked about not pulling leaves off because it will hurt the plant, and then we won't have any.....but we also talked about it being nice to share and be so considerate of your sister.....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a challenging job you have! I often think of what you would be missing (and what we would be missing in the blog) if you were working outside of your home.
Never forget that you are doing the most important job in the world!
Love, Auntie Linda

Maria said...

Thanks! Sometimes I think anyone else in the world could do this job better than I am...some days. Encouragement is helpful :)