Friday, July 3, 2009

Laughter and Other Accomplishments

Today is a big day! Baby Mouse laughed, a true, sweet, baby laugh this morning! Miss Mouse was in her high chair eating lunch, and I was pat-a-caking with Baby Mouse on the floor when, all of a sudden, there was a "heh-heh" and then another and another! I think she even surprised herself. She's been trying so hard to laugh the past few weeks, and today it just came out! How fun! She is four months, two weeks, and two days (yes, I had to use a calendar to figure it out...).There are few sounds as sweet as those a baby makes.

In other accomplishments, Baby Mouse is almost rolling from her back to her stomach, and she is enjoying tummy-time more and more. We still only do a couple minutes at a time before she cries, and I'm not into making her just scream and get mad so that she'll roll from tummy to back. I never did that with Miss Mouse, and she rolled that way. So I don't figure it's going to stunt Baby Mouse, either. Miss Mouse rolled from back to tummy at about four and a half months, so I'm looking for Baby Mouse to roll any day now! She's really trying!

Baby Mouse has also found her voice. As of last Thursday, so, about four months and one week, she started just squealing and "talking" up a storm! Miss Mouse had to adjust to it a bit. She now goes around saying "That's how babies talk" as if she's comforting herself that it is just normal what Baby Mouse is doing. Baby Mouse also tends to kick her feet and sometimes kick her sister in the process. Miss Mouse got a little upset at first (probably because I've given her time-outs for kicking me - and thankfully have broken the "habit"), but I explained that that is how Baby Mouse shows she loves Miss Mouse. She trusts her to play with her and not get angry and to be gentle with her. So now when Baby Mouse kicks her with her little baby feet, Miss Mouse looks at her lovingly and says "That's how shows loves you".

Songs - I'm not sure if I've written down that Miss Mouse now will sing the entire Lord's Prayer. I memorized it when I was five, and I have very special memories of doing so. However, it seems that perhaps music memorization is the way to go! Either that, or I was just pretty slow :) Miss Mouse also sings Mary Had a Little Lamb, Baa Baa Black Sheep, part of the ABC song (the beginning four letters and the last four letters with the "won't you sing with me"), and part of I've Been Workin' on the Railroad (Dinah won't you blow - repeatedly, over and over).

Cheering section - last night as Baby Mouse was giving it her "all" to roll over, I started clapping and saying "Yay!" Pretty soon Miss Mouse joined in, clapping and cheering with "Yay!" and even "Way go!" Miss Mouse has some pretty impressive tantrums these days, and Baby Mouse has some really fussy moments. As tough as those moments are, the "cheering section" moments, the first laugh, the hugs and kisses between sisters - those make up for it ten thousandfold.

No comments: