Thursday, August 27, 2009

Toilet Time, Update #XVX

I suppose I haven't updated about the toilet training at our house quite that many times. I thought I should put up one more, I think, final, update (final - yay!). We began wearing cloth training pants with vinyl covers back at Christmas. We spent Christmas Eve service running to the bathroom at church, in fact. Pretty cool and new at that point. A few months and many loads of laundry later, it was wearing a little thin, but I'm a determined cookie. Miss Mouse loved her training pants, and was trying her best, so we decided to stick it out. I say "we" because there were days where I called Mr. T at noon in near-tears after our third accident of the morning for his opinion which was always "she thinks diapers are for babies, right? well, she's trained psychologically, now her body just has to catch up". Right he was. As I got trained in patience, because I refused to shame her when we had accidents, she progressed in being trained for the toilet. With no forcing on our part, aside from giving her a sticker every time she went on the potty before having an accident, Miss Mouse trained herself by Memorial Day and was ready to wear "little girl panties" just in time for summer! There are still accidents from time to time; I'm not sure our high chair or couch or loveseat will ever be the same. Especially during fits, we have to be aware that there could be some waterworks from all directions. However, she is trained; she is proud; and that is what counts. Way to go, Miss Mouse.

As a sidenote, we carry a potty-chair in the car for emergencies. With the long trips we make and the fact that both sets of grandparents live rather far away from cities and towns, there is no guarantee that we will be able to find a bathroom when "nature calls". Hence, the chair that used to be in the bathroom at home now rides around on the floor in the vehicle. It's very handy, but it has to be cleaned immediately after trips where it has been used. The other day we had to use it on the way to get our hair done (yes, Miss Mouse has her bangs trimmed when I get mine done - she loves it), so when we got back, I set it out in on the driveway, filled it full of water, and let it sit a bit to clean. I then realized it would be in the way of Mr. T.'s car, so I moved it onto the grass by our driveway. And....there it sat, and sat, and sat. One would think it would have been an eyesore to me, but I guess I was paying more attention to getting ready for stroller rides, tricycle rides, slathering on sunscreen, putting on bonnets, filling extra water glasses, putting blankets in the stroller, tucking everyone into their bug nets, etc., etc. than cleaning the potty chair. Finally, I think after several days, Mr T. asked me to do him a favor yesterday. I agreed, of course, and was horrified when he asked me to please move the toilet off the front lawn. Oops. I tried to weasel my way out of the predicament by pointing out that it had to be cleaned. His only response was "there is a toilet on my lawn" with a rather sheepish look on his face. Ugh. I'm so embarrassed. The toilet was quickly removed.

5 comments:

Regan said...

I noticed it when we came the other day, but I didn't say anything. I just wondered why there was a potty in the driveway! I figured there must be a good explanation.

Maria said...

Nope! Just forgetfulness!

Anonymous said...

There was no excuse I didn't notice it either!!!!!!! Must be a gene disorder!!! Might be Ken and Carol's fault, though. If they were home and we would have visited them, we would have noticed! Yes, that is it!
LOVE GRAMMY

ShellyKay said...

A toilet in the yard, that is hilarious!!!

Anonymous said...

Perhaps you were just going back to the old outhouse days...it isn't that you left the potty chair out, it's just that nobody put a little building around it yet!
Love, Auntie Linda