Today has been a "Youch!" day. Things were going fine until around 4 p.m. when I was downstairs sending an email. Mr. T is putting in yet another 16-hour day, so in the middle of it, he came home for a run to relax. I took advantage of his putting on his shoes to leave for work again and ran downstairs to the computer. As I was pressing "send", I heard "No! Watch out!" and then a loud CRASH. I listened for a moment for baby screaming, but nothing happened. I assumed, great, disaster averted! Not so.
Upon entering the living room, my eyes were pulled immediately to a large, black pile of dirt next to the table/plant stand. Uh-oh. Next thought: Where's the baby? Where's the baby? Where's the baby???? Panic nearly ensued because I didn't hear crying which led to all sorts of terrible worries about poor Baby Mouse.
Mr. T looks at me with a chagrined look suddenly realizing that Baby Mouse must have headed down the hall as he was trying to figure out how to clean up the plant mess. I dash for the bathroom just in time to prevent her from stuffing a handful of garbage in her mouth (we have a humidifier in the bathroom; otherwise the door would be shut; I don't get to run much these days, but having the bathroom door open is not my idea of "indoor marathon training"...though perhaps it is working considering how quickly I get myself to the bathroom when Baby Mouse is MIA....).
Baby Mouse and I head back out to the living room to survey the damage and decide whether it was purposeful or not. Apparently it wasn't deliberate but was an accidental collision among Rody Horse, Miss Mouse, and the plant stand. Poor Miss Mouse was embarrassed and trying her best to be helpful which, with shards of clay pot and mounds of potting soil, wasn't so helpful. Mr. T actually was, I believe, truly feeling bad that he had to leave at that moment....or maybe that was relief I saw on his face....
I have sort of a penchant for accomplishing tasks with items which are not typically used for said tasks. Hence, I ran to get my "Haley's Cleaning Hints" book and, after a quick skim of the "carpet cleaning" pages, ran for my shaving gel. This is a bit amusing since I have not used shaving gel for several years now, opting instead to use hair conditioner for the job (like I said, accomplishing tasks with different items). I had a coupon the other day, though, so I now have shaving gel - apparently both for my legs and for my carpet. I have some more scrubbing to do tomorrow, I'm afraid, but I think it did a fairly good job.
I wonder how it would have done on a puddle of green paint. Hmmm....but that's another story.
Anyway, back to our day. Plant is safely ensconced in another pot; carpet is as clean as it will be tonight. Mommy is reading different uses for tin foil, and then, THUNK, Baby Mouse smacks her head on the table/plant stand. Poor little Mousey. I could have kicked myself for reading a book while she must have obviously been in a precarious position. However, since I couldn't see the damaged spot, nothing even remotely reddish, pupils were equally dilated, I figured maybe I wasn't such a terrible mother.
Not a terrible mother, that is, until bathtime. Baby Mouse was not scheduled for a bath tonight. That's why I finished up with Miss Mouse's bath before supper; we get squirrely after supper, close to bedtime, which makes bathtime a bit dangerous when I'm flying solo for the evening. We had done pretty well, until I was drying off the Baby Mouse. She was looking at me, talking in her baby babble so sweetly. Miss Mouse was playing with my bath towels. Suddenly, out of nowhere, came a flying kiddie toilet seat. It landed smack dab around Baby Mouse's head. Yep. It couldn't have landed better if she was a horse shoe stake and the seat was the horse shoe. If Miss Mouse had aimed she wouldn't have been able to plan that landing.
If it hadn't been so horrifying to see my baby on the floor, cuddled in her little, pale yellow towel, now with her sweet face sticking out of the middle of a toilet seat, it might have been funny! As it was, I ripped the thing off, lectured her poor shocked sister about the dangers of flinging toilet seats in a crowded bathroom, and cuddled poor, shocked, little Baby Mouse. There really are few things I like better in life than cuddling a naked little baby in a towel, so that part was okay. It just was so unfortunate that she was screaming in pain and shock. She was actually quite red on her neck and her chin, and her little forehead was scratched! Miss Mouse felt awful. What she'd been doing was trying to hang my towels up since she was done playing with them; she had to climb on the toilet to do so, and, therefore, had to get rid of the toilet seat. Ugh. I cringe about this one, but I don't feel as much guilt because there was no way I could have seen a flying toilet seat coming.
I have grown eyes in the back of my head, but so far I'm no good at predicting flying toilet seats.
3 comments:
Things should be getting better for all! The trials of motherhood first hand!Hope it was a good night for all! LOVE MOM
Oh my gosh! HILARIOUS!!! It's days like you just have to laugh and laugh, because, what else could you do? If everyone survives, it's a successful day!
This reminds me of my life in general, although it is usually just me crying!
As I used to say after a particularly challenging day of teaching, "The students are alive; I am alive; It has been a good day!"
If you were working away from home, think of how many bumps and bruises you would not be able to witness and comfort.
(I concluded long ago that bumps, burns, cuts, and bruises, are part of an active and healthy,good life, at least that's how I comfort myself with each injury!) Be amazed at the remarkable healing ability the body has. Take care and SMILE. Thanks for sharing.
Love, Auntie Linda
Post a Comment