Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Happiness Is Not.....

*A 12-month-old with her first official cold...and a strong gag reflex leading to lots of choked up yuckiness.

*Precipitation. Specifically rain. Here. Now.

*Being told that breastfeeding my slightly-over-12-month-old, who has trouble swallowing solid foods or using a straw with a cold now (refer back to the gag reflex piece above, please) and who refuses to let a spoon within a foot of her body (she's getting at least three molars and two "filler" teeth...I'd refuse a spoon, too, I think, but would probably opt for a fattening milk shake of some sort...), is creating an extraordinary lack of nutrition these days that she is getting mostly breastmilk because "it has no vitamins and is no different than letting her drink whole cow's milk all day". Yeah, thanks Madam Nurse Practitioner. I get it. Moo. Thanks for making my day and comparing me (unfavorably, at that) to Bessy out back. Thanks. Again, moo.
---Sidenote: I did look at her funny and comment that I thought breastmilk did have vitamins and nutrients in it even for an older baby like my daughter is...she gave me a blank stare and said "breastmilk has vitamins? I don't know. I thought it was basically like cow's milk." Needless to say, I'm not starting any weaning processes based on this gal's advice.....I'm not sure what she would have preferred Baby Mouse be partaking of now when she can't eat solids with all her snot, can't suck a straw (again, the snot issue), and is refusing a spoon. Perhaps intravenous fluids in the hospital would be preferable to breastfeeding? Yeah...admittedly a bit bitter here. Moo, again. I'm probably more bitter than I should be just because I know how scandalous it is that my year-old is still nursing a bit, so feeling self-conscious about our choice anyway, and then being unfavorably compared to a Jersey cow, well, it's been one of those days. Moo.

5 comments:

ShellyKay said...

Oh no! Wow, sounds like your NP needs to go back to school! If it makes you feel better, Grace nursed exclusively for a year. She refused solids until then! Breast milk is so full of nutrition, you are totally doing the very best for her! Sick little ones here, too. Lydia is getting over ear infection and Alli is coughing and feverish. Certainly not much fun so I feel your pain! :)

Jess said...

I watched some sick kids here yesterday, so I'm in dreadful anticipation...

The rain! Oh we have MUD! The trickle of water in our basement... and so it begins for us too.

And your NP? She can suck it. Seriously.

Maria said...

Thanks, ladies!!! I needed the encouragement! Thankfully she is not "my" NP...she was at the children's walk-in clinic. We couldn't get in to our regular doctor because she was out sick. I had a bad experience at the children's walk-in before, too, so we will NOT be going back there again if we can help it. Thanks!

Jess said...

Sorry I can't help myself, I'm commenting again. It is NOT scandalous that E is still nursing. It is awesome! You will never regret it, and you have no reason to be ashamed at all.

Anonymous said...

Hi,
Even your old Auntie is appalled at the NP's comments. Perhaps she thinks that vitamins are what you get in pill form, therefore, hard to imagine in breastmilk!Eventually you will be able to laugh at her and be thankful that you are not that "information impaired."
Im sure that when Elizabeth is old enough to ask for breastmilk, you will no longer be nursing her. (Memories of a young boy named Cloud age 4 and his free-spirited mother.)
I'm sorry about all of the snot around you; you remember when you were little and brought a tissue to me for your nose, I couldn't handle (literally) the snot and told you "only mommy can help you with your nose!" I like to think that if I had become a mother, I would have been able to handle it!
Remember spring is near...no, I don't mean floods and mud, but rather birds and walks outdoors. Remember to take care of yourself too.
Love, Auntie Linda