Tuesday, March 9, 2010

The Socratic Method

I haven't been in school for quite awhile, have I? Might it be possible that I remember the Socratic method of learning as being one that asks questions? Maybe? Could I be confused? Could this possible memory have been brought on by the recent death of my parents'/sister's beloved barn cat, Socrates? Could this fluffy, black kitty with soft, wispy black-with-undercurrents-of-white hair have caught my Miss Mouse's heart in a most loving way? Might it be so?

Might I have decided not to say anything about his strokes and subsequent death to Miss Mouse until she brought him up? Might that time have occurred on Monday when she, while listening to On the Way to Grandpa's Farm (a song), brought up that we should go to the farm to visit Socrates?

Could it be that I told her Socrates' body got very old and very worn out and that he died and went to Heaven? Could it be that she responded by equating his wearing out to batteries' burning out? Could it be that I agreed those two things were somewhat similar?

Could it be that that similarity led to Miss Mouse's supposition that "Socrates wore out why's (i.e., because) I pet him too much"?

Might I have explained, with tears in my eyes, that she had nothing to do with said kitty wearing out and that all bodies wear out eventually and that Socrates was very, very happy with all the petting she gave him? Might she have looked relieved at this information?

Could it be that later in the day she began working through this new death? Could it be that her pretending friend Piglet was dead? Ugh. Oops, that wasn't a question, was it? Could it be that before bedtime she told me Christopher Robin and Pooh got a "new Piglet"? Could it be that I suggested she had been mistaken about Piglet dying in the first place? Might it be that she said "Oh, yes, it was Socrates that went to live in Heaven, not Piglet"?

Might we have had several discussions such as this, including questions such as "will Socrates come back and visit the farm from Heaven?" Might we also have handled several meltdowns associated with separating from parents (i.e. not wanting the typically-popular "quiet time" or bedtime?)? Might I have discussed with her that Daddy and I are not planning to go anywhere and are planning and intending to be with her here? Might I have worried about the possibility of slipping and saying we would always be there for her? Might I have worried about the possibility of this not being true? Might I have worried about turning her against God Himself by promising something that is not mine to promise?

Could we have had a sad girl in our room at 3 a.m. telling us "there is something scary in my bedroom"? Could I have gone in to lay with her for awhile? Could I have been called out by Baby Mouse (could she have been up all night with gas??)? Might Mr. T have taken over the shift in Miss Mouse's bedroom?

Might we have searched all day for the Mr. Rogers When a Pet Dies book?

Could all these things be true? They just might be; they just might be indeed.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do you have way too much time on your hands to write a blog entry like this? :)

Love ya!
Mandy

Maria said...

it was written in 3-4 parts over two days....no, not really much time at all...:)

Jess said...

Do I have hope that a sleep deprived mom might someday remember the good instead of the bad? Why does a five year old ask the same questions over and over and over? Why does his mom asking him the same question back cause him to give the correct answer? Will my road wash away next week? Will the road remain intact until Scott is gone for work the week after? (Of course it will) Why on earth does one mom asking questions cause another mom to do the same? Yikes. Should this blog owner start charging a fee for self-therapy commenting by her faithful blog readers? Why is it five minutes before midnight and here I am when I should be sleeping?