Friday, July 1, 2011

Vacation 2011

Our vacation pictures this year were supposed to include snow-capped mountain peaks, waterfalls, and ice-cold mountain-valley lakes. Unfortunately, due to disastrous flooding in our state, Amtrak, our ride out to said mountains, had to cancel service. None of the adults involved thought three days of driving each direction, six days total, sounded very fun for two little Mice to spend four days in the mountains. Although this was a disappointing change of plans for us, our disappointment paled in comparison to that of those who have lost homes or farms to water. We had a wonderful time spending Mr. T's time off together, which was the most important goal of our vacation plans anyway. The mountains will be there next year...hopefully the glaciers will still be, as well, if they don't melt and flood our state (insert sarcasm here).





Pink is great! Really, what can be more fun than pink Carhart-type jackets?


She caught it herself. Really, truly. Miss Mouse is so proud that she caught a bass, a bluegill, and a perch. She also held the leeches being used for bait to show me that she loved holding them. Gulp.






Our surprisingly contemplative Sunny Mouse. She enjoyed her time at the lake, although she told me, on our second pontoon ride, that "The boat heets (hurts) my tummy. Make it stop.". At least we got one ride in. That's definite progress for the poor little queasy stomach! Her favorite outdoor activity was splashing her little legs in the water from the dock. The only way they would reach is if I pulled up her pantlegs and held onto her as she stretched to reach the water. She called it "fimming" (swimming).

Miss Mouse spent hours fishing. We were so incredibly thankful for the strong breeze that blew the majority of our vacation at Grandma Kathy's and Grandpa Dick's. That breeze made it possible for Miss Mouse and her Daddy to fish off the dock again, and again, and again. They did set a crayfish trap but got "skunked" with that endeavor.



Miss Mouse is on her third pair of sunglasses this year, and they happen to be on loan from her father. In fact, today at home he wore them to mow the lawn, and she said, "Oh, Daddy is borrowing my sunglasses." We had to have a talk about the fact that they are his and are on temporary loan to her until she finds her second pair. The loan is in lieu of her emptying her piggy bank to replace the second pair (first pair came from the Easter Bunny; second pair came from a generous Daddy; third pair are actually Daddy's....and I think she loves them the best!). I thought this was a funny picture both of sweet Miss Mouse enjoying a cloudy picnic at the farm, and of the action of the rest of us reflected in her eyes. Hmm...If I think about that, it's fairly profound actually, since every single thing I do is taken in and reflected through those observant, open, curious, joyful eyes.



We did spend some time climbing "mountains", swimming, biking, and taking in some tourist attractions. I'll post those pictures another time since it is getting past my bedtime, especially when poor Sunny is giving up her naps and consequently going to bed at 6:45 (after three hours of unconsollable fussing and crabbing). I did want to get up at least some vacation pictures, though, to remind myself, as I read through this in three years, that we had one and that we enjoyed it immensely!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing. I might have known that Miss Mouse would be a patient little fisherperson! I'm glad that little Sunny Mouse was at least able to play in the water.
Love, Auntie Linda