What, you may ask, is on Sunny's face???? That is, ta-da, old Cool Whip!
Yes, indeedy, the female Mice are in the bathtub with old, moldy Cool Whip because I found the world's best use for it!
Finger paint. Yep, this was one of my most hit-it-out-of-the-ballpark ideas ever. I've had a few of those interspersed with a dizzying number of fizzled-out-didn't-work-the-way-I-had-thought ideas. It really would make your head spin to count the number of times I've bombed ideas and projects and then stood on my creative head to figure out ways to salvage them. Usually we can, but that's due more to the grace of my children than to my own quick-thinking ability.
This idea, though?
This one was awesome.
We dyed the Cool Whip purple. See? A lesson in color mixing. We used (duh) red and blue food coloring, a few drops at first and then a few more to observe what would happen. It looks kind of gray in the pictures, but it was a beautiful lavendar color. We even added some yellow and green sprinkles, just for extra mess and fun. I have a really hard time with "mess" in the kitchen, but in the tub? Bring it!
This is Sunny's "I cannot hardly believe I'm getting to do this" look. They've been wanting to smash each other in the face with pie now for a few weeks. They saw Pat and Vanna do that on Wheel of Fortune one day, and ever since, they've had their hearts set on it. I told them we'd do it in the summer, but then I got to thinking that we could do it in the bathtub, turn it into a somewhat sciency lesson, and wash it all down the drain. It was so much fun, we might end up doing it again in the front yard and hosing off in the sprinkler, but I'm really glad we didn't wait that long!
Miss Mouse, was, as usual, more cautious. It could be because she's spent two more years with me than her sister has, so if Sunny had a "I can't believe I get to do this" look, then Miss Mouse had an even more incredulous feeling about the whole deal. I've loosened up considerably in the past few years. Hallelujah and Amen.
The above picture shows them once they really got going, smushing each other in the face.
Pure, squishy, happiness.
The only disappointment came in the absence of a tub-ring. Some of the neighbors' really bright chalk left a tub ring this summer when we washed off (the girls had it All.Over.Their.Bodies), so they thought they must not have gotten quite messy enough if they didn't create another tub ring. I, on the other hand, was just fine with that.
We will be repeating this project!
1 comment:
Way FUN!
Post a Comment