Friday, February 5, 2010

Play Therapy

Play therapy: something I was moderately interested in at one point in my life....about five years ago....until I looked at cost of certification, specialized training, etc.

To my surprise two days ago, Miss Mouse started telling me that her friend Piglet (yes, she has two imaginary friends - Piglet and Charlie) was getting very sad when she (Miss Mouse) had to go get Charlie (who apparently is a nursing baby?) to sleep in his room. Yes, sirree, Piglet was so sad that he couldn't come in the room with them, and he had to watch his video (Miss Mouse watches a very, very young Baby Einstein video while I get Baby Mouse down for her naps in the nursery). Piglet was glad that Miss Mouse left the bathroom open for him so he could potty (yep, several times I've pointed out that the door is open for her to use the bathroom if she needs....), but he was so sad that he had to just sit and watch his video. Ugh.

Ugh. What to do. What to do. I just listened that day and then gave it some thought that evening. I thought and thought. I also thought about different ways of getting Baby Mouse to sleep, but I've come up dry on that so far.

Yesterday morning, during Baby Mouse's short nap, while Miss Mouse and I were doing "preschool" downstairs, Miss Mouse brought up the Piglet deal again. This time I engaged her in conversation about Piglet's emotions; interestingly, she shies away from naming any of her own, but she was pretty good at pinpointing Piglet's - lonely and sad. Immediately this breaks my heart, but then I remind myself that for these few minutes each day Miss Mouse has to give me completely to Baby Mouse - difficult, yes; cruel, probably not. But we definitely processed a lot of emotions.

Then I asked if I could talk with Piglet and explain the situation to him. She agreed. Piglet and I talked about the necessity of giving Charlie his naps, about all the fun things Piglet and Miss Mouse like to do when Charlie is asleep, about how Miss Mouse loves him and loves to be with him but that now that Charlie is around, she has to be available for Charlie alone sometimes, too. I asked if Piglet understood and felt better, and Miss Mouse said with a smile that he did. She brought it up again before bed last night, so the issue is not closed yet. I'm glad and comfortable, though, knowing that we are addressing it. Who knew that I would be able to practice play therapy unlicensed with my own little Miss Mouse?!?! I love my job!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

If I have said it once, I will say it again, the little mice are lucky to have the "educated" mommy they have. It isn't always easy to be 10 steps ahead, but so far you are usually 20 steps in my opinion!
I know just how you can enjoy your job! When you move onto the "grammy" job, it will be even more fun!

Anonymous said...

You are doing such a good job! Maybe Miss Mouse needs to talk about all of the alone times that you and she have when Baby Mouse is not a part of it. She probably never thinks about it, but calling her attention to her own special times when they are happening might remind her that she too gets her special alone times with you. Good luck!
Love, Auntie Linda

Maria said...

Thanks, both of you! Mom - it can't possibly be more fun as a grandma. :) Linda - that's what we were discussing with Piglet. It's a bit confusing, but I was explaining to Piglet how much time he and Miss Mouse get to spend together when Charlie is asleep...it correlates to me and Miss Mouse spending our alone time together. ;) You and I were on the same wavelength apparently!