Monday, September 19, 2011

This is the Way We Wash Our Clothes....

I don't have many words for these pictures. I don't think they need many. We were privileged enough to spend the day with Grammy and Grandpa Bob and to meet up with a dear friend at a reenactment-style event where the girls were allowed and welcomed to fully participate in the activities. There are days I have to pinch myself to be sure I'm not dreaming; these days are so good.



Perhaps starting a new fashion trend? Blending the contemporary with the definitely-traditional.



Miss Mouse spent a large chunk of her afternoon washing clothes by hand. The most modern thing was the glass washboard, for which I was thankful. She and my friend had to chase down dirty laundry in the pie-baking area to keep her dirty laundry pile well-supplied. The ladies making pie over Dutch ovens in a fire pit were more than happy to supply the needed soiled aprons and dish clothes. I spent most of the afternoon marvelling at the inter-generational activity that went on so naturally. There was no separate area for children, save the hourly games that were played; the little boys chased frogs; some little girls helped. Other little girls smacked each other's faces, and their aunts working by their sides, with flour from pie crust and added finishing touches of cherry juice.



She's serious about her job.



Evidence of a hard day's work

I love thinking about a day where this was an astoundingly advanced technological breakthrough. I'm thankful to have come home to a central air conditioned home, but I'm thankful, too, for the opportunity to show our Mice what a community working together looks like, how life and work really were back in the "good ol' days", and for the chance for them to be enveloped into a group of people of all ages working together.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful adventure! As usual Miss Mouse takes the experience to an amazing level of understanding and participation. How proud you must be.
Love, Auntie Linda