The girls and I saw on the news the other day that there was a baby panda born at the San Diego Zoo. Miss Mouse picked up right away on the fact that there was a zoocam through which you can watch the little "it" anytime. They won't know if it is a boy or girl for a few weeks. Though she didn't really understand what the zoocam was, it sounded cool. I explained that it was sort of like skyping with the pandas except that only we could see them, not the other way around at all.
Now keep in mind the girls have just seen video of a giant panda mom and her tiny cub on the news.
Also keep in mind that we did look on the zoo website and viewed the sleeping panda and baby for several minutes. I thought it was fairly boring to watch a bear sleep; the girls thought it was "super interesting".
So, we're clear on the fact that there has been quite a lot of panda watching by this point?
Good. Then my semi-despair at the question of the Mice may be more understandable. After watching the zoocam, Sunny asks me:
"Mommy, are you bigger than a giant panda?"
Um, no. Not even right now, thank you very much.
Miss Mouse was so astonished at my answer that she reiterated the question, apparently to be sure I had understood:
"Mom, really, a giant panda is bigger than you?"
Shockingly, yes. Yes, they are. I even googled it, and a giant panda female is around 200 pounds with a giant panda male being around 250. Add to that their massively fluffy hair.....I'm not sure who was more shocked by this conversation, but I was definitely the most entertained!
2 comments:
It is so fun to imagine what the world must look like from a little girl's perspective!
This scene needs to be on one of those joys of motherhood cards... Maybe the new baby boy needs to be nicknamed "son of panda." Anyway,
maybe it is your hair. :)
Love,
Auntie Linda
Post a Comment