We've had some great moments lately. The first was during the news the other day following a segment on Post Partum Depression. The girls were interested in the segment because they showed babies, and they love nothing more than babies. Sunny, especially, wishes she could "snuggle them all". Naturally, they asked what PPD is, so I explained the best I could saying that sometimes mommies bodies have a hard time adjusting to not having babies in them anymore. That can lead to them getting really sad or nervous or stressed out even though they are actually very happy about their new babies. I added as an afterthought that sometimes the lack of sleep that new moms get is also something that makes it hard for their bodies to adjust. Miss Mouse looked relieved the minute I said that and commented, "Oh, good! Then you won't have to worry about that since you have a fussy baby who is teething anyway!". Um. Apparently being used to not sleeping is a preventative for PPD in her book!!! I couldn't contain my laughter, but I did point out that I wasn't laughing AT her, just laughing because I'd never thought of sleep deprivation as a prevention method for Depression before. She was proud.
The next verbal excitement occurred later on Wednesday at church. Mighty Mouse might finally be transitioning to being a one-nap tot, so he had gotten up from his one nap at 1 and had not napped again, despite my most valiant efforts at singing "Jesus Loves Me" and "Children of the Heavenly Father". Still, I reasoned, I wanted to get back into our Wednesday night church routine, especially because Mike was preaching that night. So, we loaded up in the -6 degree warmth and thanked God that it had warmed up four degrees since the noon news. To my chagrin, there were no close parking spots left, so I (gulp!) dropped the girls off at the door and instructed them to go directly to the coat room and wait for me there. I'm not entirely comfortable with that in a church our size, but we do know quite a lot of people, even on Wednesday nights. And I definitely wasn't comfortable with them walking across a parking lot in subzero temps in church clothes, even with good coats, hats, mittens, and boots. *Sigh*. Anyway, Mighty and I braved the temps because I A) didn't think it was fair to leave a 6- and 4-year old in charge of a rambunctious toddler brother, and B) figured he was the easiest one to share a coat with on the walk across the parking lot. Incidentally, when I have teenagers to haul to church, we will park in the farthest spots and leave the closer spots for elderly people and parents of small children. Honestly. I digress. Again. Mighty and I made it into church and found the girls ready and waiting with coats hung, purses adjusted, and hair smoothed in the coat room. We even had enough time to go for a walk around the church to burn off some of that excess energy that's been being stored up with day after day after day of subzero temps and ridiculous wind chills. Before sitting down, the kids giddily found their Daddy and attacked his legs. We walked in before Mike and (I thought) settled ourselves in the second row (I use the first row as a barrier for Mighty, but we still at least sit CLOSE to Daddy). Not long after we got "settled", Mighty Mouse realized Mike was still in the back of the church, so he squeezed into the aisle, put his little hands in his "where is X?" hold (out in front of him, palms facing up, hands together) and ran toward Mike saying, "Da? Da? Da? Da?". About halfway up, with me close behind him, he realized he was in the middle of a church full of people, and, to my delight, he hesitated! Yay! There is hope for this child yet! He hesitated! I walked him all the way back to Daddy, had him give Daddy a hug, and then we went back and sat down. He was entirely irritated at the idea of Daddy sitting in front of us, though; I think probably this is because we had the treat of sitting with Mike on Christmas Eve AND at a friend's wedding last weekend. It was fine when Mike got up to preach, though, so I was thankful for that. The sermon time went quite swimmingly, and Mighty was behaving pretty decently for being as tired as he must have been. Well, at the end of Mike's sermon, he prayed as he often does, and he ended with, as he often does, "And all God's people said" which is a cue for the rest of us to say, "Amen". However, right at the moment of "All God's people said -----", Mighty Mouse dropped a cloth finger puppet and announced, "Uh-oh!". Yep, apparently all God's people say "Uh-oh"! It felt loud to me, and he says the words very clearly. Mike didn't hear him, though, and although the pew behind us started laughing to where the bench itself was shaking, I don't think many others heard. It was really just completely and perfectly timed, though, and it made my night.
Miss Mouse completed the trifecta of kids' sayings this evening after dance. The girls have dance pictures next week, and they brought home the brochures/order forms tonight. After pouring over them for quite some time after supper, Miss Mouse brought the brochure to me and showed me a picture, asking "What is this about?". Well, it was a picture showing the difference that editing can make in removing blemishes from the dancers' photos. I explained it was mainly for teenagers who might have "blemishes" on their faces, and it is possible to pay the photographer more so that he will take time to edit those blemishes out. With a look of great understanding, Miss Mouse nodded and said, "Oh, I see. So, if the parents don't like their child's face like that, then they can fix it on the computer for the picture." Oh dear.
No comments:
Post a Comment