I just finished going through some of my blog archives searching for ultrasound pictures of Sunny that I could perhaps have used to download onto my laptop and avoid having to search the basement for the cd of her pictures. I am determined to get her little "love at first sight" frame filled before her youngest brother arrives. The other kiddos had printed pictures that I was able to take home, cut out, and stuff in the frames. The ultrasounds we had with little Sunny yielded only cds, which increase the number of steps necessary in framing pictures. Anyway. It was fun looking back over the updates I wrote of Miss Mouse when she was a tot waiting for her little sister to arrive. I thought I should toss in some updates here on Mighty Mouse as he awaits the arrival of his little(ish) brother.
Mealtime is really fun these days. Mighty folds his hands before he touches anything food-like and gets really adamant that we do the same. We are ALL to pray - in unison - with folded hands - before touching our food. If one of us attempts to shirk one of these steps, Mighty starts "oooh! oooh!!"-ing and points a finger straight at the perpetrator! It's hilarious. He is definitely our "prayer police officer" right now.
At night when I do bedtime alone, the girls and I often read our stories, sing our songs, and say our prayers in Mighty's room, mainly so that he is contained and mostly safe and entirely supervised. Well, as soon as he hears us start in with "Our Father," he runs over with folded hands. Somehow he has figured out that that is also a prayer, just like our mealtime one. I love it.
Mighty has had words exploding left and right lately. I'm sure I can't even begin to name them all. I'll try to name a few that are particularly fun:
*Baby (Baaaay-beeee!) - He noticed one in church last week and informed his Daddy of it. Over. And over. And over.
*Daa - Daddy
*Mama
*Tuck - Stuck - He will purposely get himself stuck into some strange position or wedged into a corner and then say "tuck! tuck! tuck!"
*Nice - Usually used when Mighty sees a baby or a pet
*Animal sounds - Grr (bear), Roar (lion/tiger), Baa (sheep), Moo (cow), Eeeow (cat), Voof (dog), Blub, blub (fish), Bzzzz (bee), Sssss (snake), Oo, oo (monkey, Uh, uh (pig), Neeee (horse)
*Colors - I don't think he "gets" any of these, but he very clearly says "Blue" when prompted.
K-k-k-k-k-k = Milk
Bub - bib
Peesh? - Please. He always seems to add the questioning intonation at the end, but you can tell he assumes that by using that word, he will get what he wants. The sign and word are often accompanied by a nodding head.
Baaah = Ball
Signs: Mighty has always loved baby signs. He picked up "read", "more", "drink", "all done", and "please" right away and still uses them in conjunction with his words. So fun.
Sweetness - Mighty is a sweet little guy. The other day - the day that it was spring here - we walked around the block - six blocks, actually (six straight blocks, does that make sense? not actually around six blocks, but six sides of a block....). Never once did he fight holding my hand. Miss Mouse pushed the stroller along behind us because I was sure Mighty would tire out at some point, but he never did. Miss Mouse just kept commenting, "He's so interested in discovering. He's so curious. I love this age." She sounded like an adult. Sunny danced ahead in the sunlight but listened really well when I gave directions on how close or far she could wander. And Mighty just loved poking at the snow with a stick, poking at puddles with a stick, splashing in the puddles, poking at mud with his stick, and trying to sneak bites of the stick. Still, though, I just love, love, love that he will hold my hand without fighting about it. Poor Sunny had a very hard time holding my hand; it was a real struggle for us, and it finally ended when she was around three and asked me to put her on a "leash" because she knew she would try to squirrel away from me and that scared her. Yep, she begged me to "leash" her to protect her from herself at age three. Sad on one level, but on another level it was some really impressive self-awareness from a three-year-old! Anyway, it's easier on Mighty and on me if he will continue to put his little (big) paw in mine while we enjoy all the exploration spring has to offer.
No comments:
Post a Comment