Sunday, May 18, 2008

Run, Mommy, Run!

Yesterday dawned with an impromptu marathon-relay entry for Mommy Mouse. A friend of mine called Friday night asking me to run the relay with their team which had lost a member to a family crisis. I had initially entered the half marathon, but I switched to the 5K when Daddy Mouse's schedule got too crazy for him to watch Miss Mouse (and the weather was not conducive to Miss Mouse being out in the stroller training with me). As race day neared and the hype picked up in town, I was feeling equally sad to not be "truly" involved in the marathon and excited to see how fast I could do the 5K. Needless to say, I was unprepared to do a marathon relay, but there was no way I'd pass up the chance, either! So, I got to see twice the amount of marathon course from what I expected and ran with two other fun runners. Miss Mouse stayed home with her grandparents and slept until 9:00. I was actually done running before she woke up - she slept right through my excitement! I was happy about this fact, to tell the truth. After finishing my run, getting my traditional "pick up" from Daddy Mouse (he actually picks me up at the end of a race and throws me over his shoulder for a few paces), and making our way back to our house, Grandma Kathy, Grandpa Dick, Daddy Mouse, I, and Miss Mouse all cheered on the marathon runners as they worked on mile 24 (approx. 3 blocks from our place). We stayed out until 1:40 and had a great time. Later in the day we went to our friends' house for a post-race celebration - lots of food and fun, even though we didn't stay long. All in all, it was a great day!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! I was home playing "Suzie Homemaker" , but I kept listing to the news and was cheering you on!
TJR

Maria said...

Thanks for the "virtual support"!