Thursday, December 16, 2010

Perfect Imperfection

It's possible I've used that title before. Perfecting imperfection seems to be something I'm getting quite good at....and in many ways, I'm actually proud of that. It takes just one look in one pair of eyes staring up at me, and that yanks me out of my "task focus" and drives me headlong into the "process focus" that drives my hubby so insane. Truth be told? I think he's beginning to enjoy the process, too. It's just that to enjoy the process, one has to somehow embrace this perfect imperfection idea.

Last weekend was busy. I had grand plans for both days; on Saturday, we would go out to eat and then drive around and look at lights. The girls would "oooohh" and "aaaahhh" from their little outposts in the backseat, and we would enjoy a light-filled drive home.

*Actually, Baby Sunny Mouse did not find much pleasant about lights at that point of the evening and after commenting positively on one house, spent the remainder of the trip home crying "Out! Out!! Home!".
*Miss Mouse, whom I can usually count on to jump right in along with my plans, declared halfway home that she was far too tired from skating lessons to look at lights and was going to go to sleep "right now". Ah, well. The lights were spectacular.



We woke up to brilliant sunshine on Sunday. The snow sparkled. This day would work well. I could feel it. Despite the subzero temperatures, I was energized by the sunshine and took the pair of Mice on an adventure before church. Miss Mouse begged to drive to the "far away church", across town, to sit by Daddy who was preaching there. I can do that, I figured. As long as we missed the middle church service of the three that morning, I figured we could run to Walmart to pick up our present for the giving tree and still make it to the last service on time.

I mentioned subzero temps, right? Well, where I come from, one dresses for that because you could get stuck on the road somewhere and "this vehicle would get really cold really fast". Somehow even living in town now for 13 years, I haven't lost that drive to bundle up my babies. So, on went the beautiful, fluffy dresses. And then on went the snowpants...over the tights. Then on went the snowboots, the winter jackets, the hats, and the mittens. Into the diaper bag went the dress shoes. Like I said, I started the day with a lot of energy.

And then.....

I realized the vehicle was out of gas. No problem, we can stop at the gas station quickly.....

Except that the pump I chose was frozen.

After several times of pressing the "help" button and receiving none, we drove away to another gas station.

And pulled up to another frozen pump.

At least that time the attendant helped me - by grabbing the gas hose and smacking it around, which apparently did something to jar it out of its freezing-temperature-induced-lethargy because it started to work.

No problem. We only wasted 10 minutes filling the car. We could still make a Walmart trip.

And then.....

I turned the wrong direction off the Interstate. I didn't recognize Walmart sitting directly on the other side of the Interstate in a "classy" beige building rather than the traditional drab-gray-and-blue. This poor decision on my part took us on a residential tour while I attempted to find the retail giant based on street address rather than actually looking around and seeing it under my nose. No problem. We only wasted another 10 minutes. We could still make a quick Walmart trip, grab the towels and sandwich maker I wanted to buy "our 15-18 yr old boy/special needs adult" and arrive at church on time. I'd just have to skip my much-needed-and-happily-anticipated-bathroom-break.

And then......

After surveying the nearly-empty parking lot and congratulating myself on the good thinking of making a Walmart run on Sunday morning.......after getting both girls out of the car into the still-far-below-zero-temperatures......after running up to the front door.....after being confused and wondering if perhaps it was frozen shut........after running while carrying Baby Sunny Mouse/dragging Miss Mouse over to another door......I realized that Walmarts on this side of the river in our metropolis - DO NOT OPEN UNTIL NOON ON SUNDAYS. As a pastor's wife, I should have been pleased about that. I should have been happy that employees there were as free as I was to find a church service and worship.

But I made grunting noises instead and ran/carried/dragged us back to the vehicle.

At least the girls had snowpants. I had open-back shoes and nylons with a short dress. I was able to pull myself together and somewhat gracefully explain to Miss Mouse that even though it was inconvenient for us, it was really nice that this store was closed on Sunday mornings. Believe me, that was explained through gritted teeth.

We did make it to church, however. The girls did get to sit by their Daddy. The girls and I did go skating at the indoor rink near us, as per my 'grand plan' for that day, even though Daddy had to work. And it certainly was a memorable weekend; one I can look back on with thanks that I have the time to attend church with my little girls; that we are able to pick a name from the 'giving tree'; that we had a reliable vehicle that warmed our bodies in ridiculously frigid weather; that I had that entire weekend with my babies and my husband home each night. Within the broken "task lens", the "process lens" shows me a life for which I am profoundly grateful.

Pictures of Miss Mouse's skating adventure are forthcoming as soon as the computer and I get on better terms.

2 comments:

ShellyKay said...

I love your positive attitude, even if through gritted teeth! And I can feel your exhaustion all too well! :)

Anonymous said...

Some days are better than others, uh? Praise the Lord for being able to keep your attitude good!Summer is usually easier! LOVE MOM