A shoot will come up from the stump of Jesse; from his roots a branch will bear fruit.Isaiah 11:1
This is the centerpiece we have been enjoying lately. I haven't greatly changed the color; although I did do some editing, for the most part, when candles light the cream colored nativity scene, this is what we gaze upon as we enjoy our evening meals these days.
Miss Mouse has been very excited to see "Little Lord Jesus" on our table. She's been playing nativity scene regularly, and tonight she told me that Baby Jesus was going to sleep next to her all night long (she had tucked in Sunny Baby Mouse's doll, who has been given the role of Baby Jesus, next to her tightly).
I thought about using the more obvious "Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace" verses, mainly because we've been singing them around here a lot these days. Then I remembered this verse and went with it instead, mostly, I think, because I'm desperately trying to keep up to the sermon series being preached here these days, which means I've been spending a lot of my 'workout time' on a stationary bike following Israel and Judah through numerous kings and scandals.
To read that a the stump of Jesse will be renewed, that something good is in the making through all the disobedience and distraction and idol worship going on around 2 Kings (where I'm currently reading), is somehow very encouraging to me as I watch commercial after commercial assuring me that my needs and desires can be fulfilled by simply heading out to the next 24-hour sale at such and such store. Sometimes, perhaps especially this time of year, I think that we are not all that far from the distracted, disobedient, and idolatrous Israelites of centuries past.....we worship different gods, but we worship them devoutly.
*Sigh*.
So we talk about "Little Lord Jesus" as we eat; we sing Christmas carols; we give spare change to the Salvation Army kettles, and attempt to explain to a 3-year-old that it helps feed those who are hungry; we read stories of the shepherds, angels, Baby Jesus, Mary, Joseph, and the wise men regularly; we read about Saint Nicholas, the reasons for his generous spirit, his connection to Santa Claus; and we hope that what we do, how we approach this season, celebrating the culmination of the line of Jesse, will help our two little Mice see through the commercialism of this wonderful, magical season.
Miss Mouse has been very excited to see "Little Lord Jesus" on our table. She's been playing nativity scene regularly, and tonight she told me that Baby Jesus was going to sleep next to her all night long (she had tucked in Sunny Baby Mouse's doll, who has been given the role of Baby Jesus, next to her tightly).
I thought about using the more obvious "Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace" verses, mainly because we've been singing them around here a lot these days. Then I remembered this verse and went with it instead, mostly, I think, because I'm desperately trying to keep up to the sermon series being preached here these days, which means I've been spending a lot of my 'workout time' on a stationary bike following Israel and Judah through numerous kings and scandals.
To read that a the stump of Jesse will be renewed, that something good is in the making through all the disobedience and distraction and idol worship going on around 2 Kings (where I'm currently reading), is somehow very encouraging to me as I watch commercial after commercial assuring me that my needs and desires can be fulfilled by simply heading out to the next 24-hour sale at such and such store. Sometimes, perhaps especially this time of year, I think that we are not all that far from the distracted, disobedient, and idolatrous Israelites of centuries past.....we worship different gods, but we worship them devoutly.
*Sigh*.
So we talk about "Little Lord Jesus" as we eat; we sing Christmas carols; we give spare change to the Salvation Army kettles, and attempt to explain to a 3-year-old that it helps feed those who are hungry; we read stories of the shepherds, angels, Baby Jesus, Mary, Joseph, and the wise men regularly; we read about Saint Nicholas, the reasons for his generous spirit, his connection to Santa Claus; and we hope that what we do, how we approach this season, celebrating the culmination of the line of Jesse, will help our two little Mice see through the commercialism of this wonderful, magical season.

1 comment:
This is absolutely beautiful! Words, photo, verse selection...all of it! Isn't it amazing how much the Israelites constantly sinned?! When I read through the same books your reading now, I was continually amazed that God would love even them. And you're so right that we do the same things today, just in a different form.
Post a Comment