Sunday, February 24, 2013

Beautiful

 
These are song lyrics. I think you can find the song here:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGZkrn_vaqU

This song has played on the Christian station that Mighty and I listen to while he's going down for his naps. It brings tears to my eyes sometimes because it reminds me of little Sunny. Already she feels inferior to her big sister; already she looks at pictures of herself and says things like, "I don't like my smile; it doesn't look like my sister's." My heart cracks a bit when she says those things, and I redouble my efforts to be sure both of our girls know they are beautiful, talented, and created in the image of God. I remember being a big sister who wished so badly to be more like her little sister, a big sister who felt neither beautiful nor talented. Though that's the lie of the world, that's not what I want for these girls.
 
Miss Sunny, at four, you have a sense of humor to rival both your Grandpa Bob's and Grandpa Dick's, a voice that reminds me of your Auntie Laura's, a graceful running stride far beyond your years, dancing rhythm like I remember in your Great Grandpa Don's when he would twirl me around the dance floor, and so much sweetness from your grandmas and aunties and Daddy. May you always know that no matter what you do with those gifts, you are always loved for who you are.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Elizabeth seems to be getting more beautiful and a good little conversationalist every time I see her. Tell her she may be a little flower that is a late blooming perennial that gets better every year.
What a nice song!
Love,
Auntie Linda