Sunday, January 11, 2009

New Activities

Miss Mouse never ceases to surprise me with her new antics. Here are a few:
*Today in church, she dug out the green hymnal, opened it, flipped through a few pages, pointed at a line in a hymn, folded her hands, and said "pray" (which sounds unfortunately more like "pee" right now, but I have no trouble translating....). She did this repeatedly throughout the sermon.
*Tonight at supper, she pointed to her eyes, said "eyes - blue", pointed to my eyes, said "eyes - green", and then pointed to Daddy's eyes and said, "eyes - yellow". I have no idea where she got the idea that his eyes are yellow, but it made for a really good chuckle! We convinced her that his are green, too.
*We were winding down in the living room tonight; the Mouse was looking through some books. Daddy and I had on some crime show turned way down in the background (now that she can, and does, repeat language we try not to have anything too nasty on in the evenings - she generally figures that if the tv is on it must be "news"). Miss Mouse was not the least bit interested in what we were watching. Instead, she brought us the new cranberry hymnal (yes, we were introduced to it as "cranberry" so as not to be confused with the old, red one - Lutherans will understand this hymnal color dilemma) and asked for songs about Jesus. So, we obliged, singing songs from "Away in a Manger" to "Lift High the Cross" (though I don't know whether that one is in there or not - we just did what we could from memory). Oh, Daddy added one of the renditions of "Create in Me", but as it doesn't actually say anything about Jesus in it, she wasn't too thrilled. It was sort of a sweet moment because just about two years ago, when we first brought her home to Enderlin, her Daddy frequently calmed her by staring in her eyes and singing her songs from the cranberry hymnal (we both attended an introductory seminar for the book, so we have two copies floating around the house). Apparently, she still loves it.
*On the way home from Target, after waiting much too long for a bathroom break, Miss Mouse informed me that she needed to "tinkle". I asked if she could hold it in until we got home so that her 'pretty pants' stayed dry, and we assured her we'd be home really quickly. As we hit rut after rut in the street (over three feet of snow will do that to the streets), I gave up any hope that she would be dry, but we rushed inside anyway, running for the bathroom. She was dry! She made it! What a trooper! I'm fairly sure if I'd had to go badly, it would have been pretty miserable hitting all those ruts, and I certainly would have been complaining more than she did! :)
Fun times with Miss Mouse.
---We just won't mention the two time-outs in church today.....we made it through the entire sermon with the green hymnal as entertainment, and she was calm by the last song. I figure that's a successful service with an almost-two-year-old.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank goodness the Mouse has inherited an large, strong bladder!
Hey,what about "Jesus Loves Me", and "Jesus Loves the Little Children"? No wonder this little Miss Mouse seems to act like a miniature adult some of the time.
Anyway, I'm glad you two sing to her. :) Love, Auntie Linda