Okay, so I have to blame certain things on either "pregnancy brain" or "teething brain", both of which I can claim right now. The meaning of the first is rather obvious; "teething brain" I define as a brain stretched to the limit from lack of sleep and strained creatively by attempts to keep a toddler congenial.
The other day we got a package in the mail from Daddy's grandparents. Miss Mouse was excited right away and was happy to open her gift - a cute Christmas ornament of a little girl holding a doll. This made her very happy since the 'girl' (which she can say) had a 'baby' (one of her favorite words right now).
There was also a present in the package addressed to Daddy and me; Daddy opened it and found a pretty, clear letter "L" which seemed to be meant to stand on a shelf. It was obvious that the other tissue-paper-wrapped objects in our gift were other letters, so he remarked "oh, it must spell L.O.V.E.". We both thought "how nice" and decided to just wait until Miss Mouse went down for her nap to open the other letters and find a place for it.
Well, I got the Mouse settled and returned to the kitchen to finish opening the package. I found the letters: O. N. and E. Confused, I set them out on the counter, spelling L.O.N.E. My poor brain could not figure out why my grandparents-in-law would get us a decoration that spelled 'lone'. It made no sense. So.....I thought, the "N" must be actually a "V" that is just confusing because it is ornamented somehow and artsy. I proceeded to turn the "N" every which way trying to make it look like a "V" because it must spell LOVE. At some point in my turning of the "N", my poor husband walked in, looked at me, smiled, and rearranged the letters to spell N.O.E.L.
Ugh. He reassured me that once the baby is born, it will return my brain.
2 comments:
I got the same thing, and had troubles comprehending it....It took me a couple minutes to figure it out. Needless to say, I'm NOT pregnant, and do not have an almost 2 year-old....
I love that you share your struggles! It helps me feel less alone when I suffer what I call "senior moments." :) L.A.L.
(There. Figure that out and feel smart again.)
Post a Comment