Monday, November 24, 2008
All the Colors of the Rainbow
Well, some of them anyway, are being identified at our house now! I've known for awhile that she recognizes her colors because she will hand me the red this or that and the yellow this or that when asked. However, we had a big breakthrough today involving colors and socks. She was helping me put her clean clothes away today when she suddenly turned and started saying "neen! neen! neen!". I couldn't figure out what she meant at first, until I saw the two pairs of green socks in her hands! I gave her a hug and told her that they were, in fact, green and that she had done a great job finding them. Back in the drawer they went, to be replaced by "enk! enk! enk!" - pink socks. Another hug, more praise, socks back in the drawer. Quick as a wink I hear, "bobble! bobble! bobble!" - purple socks have appeared. More hugs, giggles, and praise. She wasn't sure what to say about the yellow socks until I said "yellow" first; at that point, she repeated "yellow" almost as clearly as I had said it! I couldn't find any blue socks (I think they're in a laundry pile waiting for washing later today), but we looked at a book with a blue picture - "boo", for now. I can honestly say that 21.5 months ago, I would not have thought she would be learning her colors based on her socks, but it seems to be working! As an aside, I should note that we've been "working" on colors all summer - outside with colored chalk, colors of flowers, green grass, colors of lawn decorations, toys, inside with colors in books, at the grocery store with food colors, etc. It just appears that the socks are the catalyst for the actual verbalization of the color words; I guess the child likes her socks!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Another note I learned from teaching: it is amazing how long it sometimes takes for a brain to process and put to use all that has been seen and experienced.
I feel sad when I think about some of the bad things little ones do see and experience which may be seen in them much later and not understood by others or themselves.
Miss Mouse is a very lucky little girl!
Love, Auntie Linda
Post a Comment