Anyway, first, it was fun (as well as helpful!) that this year Daddy was actually able to attend the parade with us! On a Tuesday night, it is often more likely that he is at work than attending a parade; so we (the Mouse and I) ecstatic to have him with us! We headed downtown and had a bite to eat right after Daddy got off work. We were able to find a parking spot not even a block off the main parade route! After eating, we had just enough time to run back to the car, load the Mouse into her backpack, and find a front row spot (well, we were behind a few people in lawn chairs) before the parade started rolling by. Perfect timing for an absolutely perfect evening - hanging out in the chilly, but not frigid or even windy, weather, watching bright floats pass by - as a family! Daddy and I attended light parades for holidays past in Lisbon and the lighted train celebration in Enderlin, and Miss Mouse and I enjoyed last year here. But there is nothing like all being together to celebrate and to have the opportunity to watch our baby's face light up as bright as the floats (okay, so Daddy didn't have a good look at her face, but he heard her loud and clear as she demanded "more! more!").
We had a nice Thanksgiving begun by the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade and a little bit of dog-show-watching afterwards. Miss Mouse and I stayed home while she napped; Daddy went to the Thanksgiving party we were invited to (he offered to stay home with her, but he knew most of the people at the party better than I- so it made more sense for him to go). After Miss Mouse woke from her nap (actually, I woke her up at 3 after a two-hour nap just so we could get going to the party...waking a sleeping baby usually seems to be a mistake, especially after she was up from 2 a.m. until 6 a.m. with a tummy-ache the night before....will Mommy ever learn???), we strolled down to the party, too. Daddy's boss and his wife had invited several families over, so there was much visiting, food, and merriment. We had a nice time. Miss Mouse enjoyed playing with their new Brittany puppy, Zoe....until Zoe bit her. Zoe is losing her baby teeth and chewing on everything and everyone in sight - not so much fun for a small child. We attempted to get Miss Mouse to pet her on the tail-end, but the closest the Mouse would get to forgiving her was to look at her sympathetically and say "niiiiice". We explained that Zoe was using her as a pacifier and that she is a baby and doesn't know better. I think the Mouse accepted that, but she still didn't want much to do with petting the puppy after that!
After about 3.5 hours there visiting and playing, I could tell it was time to go and could also tell it was not going to be an easy departure. Sure enough, the poor Mouse with her sleep deprivation and sugar-high threw an absolute fit. I had to retrieve Daddy from video-gaming in the basement to help get her in the stroller. He was sure he could get her coat and hat on with no problem....at first....until he got them both on, turned his back for a second, and then turned around to see both the hat and coat thrown onto the floor where they had started out in the first place :) Talented Mouse we have. At some point, I think when she had crawled and wedged herself behind a chair in the living room, I got the giggles because she was just totally out of control - nothing we were trying was working (trust me, two of our hosts were trying along with Daddy and me!) - and it seemed the best choice was for us to chuckle (not letting her see it, of course), relax, and wait for it to dissipate a little. Or, we could have started scolding her, giving her time-outs, teaching her absolutely nothing at that point. Trust me, she's had several time-outs, and they work very well for her (they broke a Mommy-hair-pulling-spree and seem to be working well to control fits at church). Given the state of the Mouse at that point, we chose to laugh off her fit, explain her sleeplessness, and scram. She screamed all the way home. Didn't even care a bit about Neighbor Ken's lights that he had just put up! On the bright side, about ten minutes after arriving home, Miss Mouse was settled back into her normal self, reading books with us, snacking on cheese and crackers. Closing out Thanksgiving Day 2008, we were thankful that "our Mouse" returned and sent the "other Mouse" packing!
Last night when Daddy got home from pheasant hunting, we took a long drive around town to look at Christmas lights. We only saw the tip of the iceburg, I'm sure, as far as what is out there for displays, but we had a great time. Miss Mouse was quieter than I thought she would be (I had expected squeals of happiness), but whenever we passed several houses without lights, she would ask for "more! more!". She also responded in the affirmative when asked if we should keep looking for lights and if she was enjoying them. She was pretty disappointed to come home! I think we'll have to make Christmas-light-looking a regular event through December now. Thank goodness for gas prices being a bit lower!
This morning, Miss Mouse and I enjoyed the snow. She calls it "No!" and seems to love it. Neighbor Ken gave her a sled ride yesterday while I shoveled (don't worry, we had all of 1/2 an inch on the driveway; I just didn't want it to turn into ice before Daddy had a chance to do it); she apparently remembered how very much she loves sleds! We shopped this morning and used some of Mommy's birthday money to get a bench for the entryway; it still needs to be picked up from the store and then stained (more work for Daddy! Mommies aren't allowed to use stain when pregnant), but it was pretty exciting to find what I was looking for at a much lower price than I had anticipated! Miss Mouse enjoyed the snow all morning, from outside the house and then from inside, too, with her little face pressed up against any window she could reach.
1 comment:
I'm glad you had a good parade night. We did here too. I'm glad the Thanksgiving Day tantrum just gave you a chance to see what many parents have to deal with A LOT! You have raised a very good little girl. She was just having to show you that she is a real party girl and needs to be NOT the first to leave!
The sugar cookies look great! I'm impressed.
Thanks for the pictures...that little Playgirl pose is interesting. I remember when you ran naked from your bath out to where your daddy was visiting with Gene. Your dad calmly said, "She gets that from her mother." :)
Love, Auntie Linda
Post a Comment