Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Election Day

First of all, can you believe my mums look like this on November 4? Have no fear, the 7th is coming, and there is always snow by the 7th!!! :)
Miss Mouse takes her civic duties very seriously. Check out the all-important sticker. It needed to be transferred to her t-shirt before her nap.

This was Miss Mouse's first "big" election day. She was a sweetheart. This is actually her second time to the polls, but the first was back in June for the local and state primaries and local initiatives. As we walked out of the polling area (a local church), an older lady caught me and said that she had always brought her children with her to vote and that now, as they are adults themselves, they can't imagine not voting - it was just something they always saw their mom do, and so they do it. I thought that was neat to hear. I hadn't given much thought to it other than that I take the Mouse with because, well, what else would she do while I voted? And, of course, because she gets a cool "I Voted" sticker that she insists on wearing around the rest of the day. It was neat, though, to have it pointed out that I'm, perhaps, actually teaching her some core values just in something as simple as taking her along to vote with me. Interesting, too, to remember back and realize that perhaps I vote because I always saw my parents doing so; it wouldn't really cross my mind to just skip it because I'm busy or something, even though I don't necessarily always vote in the same way as they do. I have a feeling Daddy had the same experience growing up. We were little sponges, after all, and so is our very own Mouse, I suppose.

Miss Mouse after the election in June. Apparently she did not feel quite as serious about that election.

The ever-popular "I Voted" sticker.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

IMPORTANT steps for a little one to learn! The sticker is well used given to her. Glad you take time to keep us up-to-date!
LOVE GRAMMY AND GRAMPA BOB

Anonymous said...

I got behind on blog reading.What a good election day report! I worked at the polls from 7 a.m. until 10 p.m. It was great fun, and I found out I get paid for it too! What a great pre-Christmas surprise! There were several little ones at the polls with a parent or parents, and it was so nice to see. Thanks for the doing and the sharing. Auntie Linda
PS The mums are beautiful!